Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Week Late - Blueberry Nectarine Pie

I didn't make this until Wednesday... I've been majorly slacking in the Baking Beauties involvement. I couldn't let this one go by though. So very in season... In fact all the filling came straight from the farms for the Blueberry Nectarine Pie:

Really I have no excuse for being late with this project. Remember back to the French Apple Tart, when I made too much dough? Well, these were still in the freezer, so I didn't even make the dough, just thawed some.


Although while they were still frozen I was convinced one was pizza dough, I really need to start labeling my freezer contents.


I love that I use Redpath Sugar on Redpath Ave. Technically I live on Eglinton, but the view out my window is named after this little sugar factory.


My first hesitation with this recipe came here:


What the crap do you mean I'm supposed to "boil" this? That's not liquid, Julia.


And that's about 10 seconds later. Oh, I see! It turns to liquid.



I was jealous of Kristina's butterfly, so I added a little star. I obviously had some problems with the top of the dough, where I had to add little pieces to cover up places where it ripped. Also, I will never understand how to form the crust. They try to explain, but I can't picture it... I'm going to have to find a video somewhere.


So that's about it... I just cooked the fruit and stuck it in the pie. Turns out I had a secret hidden LOVE for blueberries. Hidden from myself I mean. This pie is totally amazing. I would have sat down by myself and eaten the whole thing with a fork if I had no shame. In fact if I had no shame I'd forgo the fork as well.



Blueberry Nectarine Pie

1/2 Recipe Flaky Pie Crust
3 cups fresh blueberries, washed
2 cups sliced nectarines
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
large pinch of lemon zest
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

While your dough is chilling before you roll it out, start your filling. Put half of the fruit in a medium saucepan, keeping the remaining fruit close at hand. Add the sugar, flour, and lemon zest and stir to mix. Bring the mixture to a soft boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. The fruits will release their juices and the liquid will thicken. Turn the mixture into a bowl and stir in the uncooked fruit. Cool the filling to room temperature. Taste, and add lemon juice as needed.

Spoon the cooled filling into the pie shell and dot the tip with butter.

Roll out your second ball of dough. Transfer it to the top of the pie, aligning the edges of the top crust with the bottom crust. Trim any ragged edges.

Fold both layers of overhanging dough under to create a thick edge around the rim of the pan. Crimp the edges by pushing the thumb of one hand against the thumb and index finger of your other hand, creating scallops every 1 - 2 inches around the rim. Using a sharp paring knife, cut 4 - 6 slits in the top of the crust, brush egg wash over the top, and chill for 20 minutes.

Placing the pie on a jelly roll pan in the center of the oven, bake at 375 for about 40 - 50 minutes. Let the pie cool for 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment