Sunday, June 27, 2010

Earl Grey Ice Cream

So it's been a while, yes, yes. Tina announced a relaunch of Baking Beauties and it inspired me to write a post on my ice cream adventure today.

It all started because the nice folks at Culinarium gave us a container of fresh cream as a thanks for being "Milk Maid" customers.

I love green tea ice cream and chai ice cream, so I figured why not try Earl Grey ice cream!

A Google search basically brought up the same recipe over and over again. So without further ado, here's my attempt at Mac & Cheese's Earl Grey Ice Cream recipe.

First, I didn't follow the dairy guidelines. I used 1 cup of 48% fresh cream provided by Culinarium, 1 cup of skim milk and 1 cup of whipping cream.


This might not have been the best idea, but more on that later.

This cream that I used, this cream was thicker than sour cream. I held the container upside down for at least 30 seconds before anything came out. Then it looked like this:


I warmed it and steeped 5 tea bags off the heat for an hour.


I whisked 5 egg yolks and mixed the milk mixture into that bowl. Back on the heat, the direction was to keep stirring until it achieved a custard like consistency. I don't know if this is weird or not, but I don't really know what that means. I mean I've heard of custard, and I think I've had custard filled pastries, but I can't just imagine a custard consistency in my mind. So I don't know if I did this part correctly, but this is what I ended up with.


Throw it in the ice cream maker et voilĂ :


This tastes good, but I think I really shouldn't have used that heavy of a cream, even with the skim milk offset. A couple of bites, good. A bowl? It coats your mouth like you've been eating butter straight. Not that I know what that feels like.

All photos are iPhone created because I keep forgetting to charge my Rebel's battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment