Sunday, April 12, 2009

Buttermilk Scones

This week's Baking Beauty assignment was Buttermilk Scones. You better have read that as rhyming with John, because if you read it as rhyming with stone my mother will find you and beat you.

First, I would like to point out that I made these whilst wearing my super cool new apron courtesy of Mrs. Jackie Laird:

It says "Chasing Craigy" on it, amongst other things, and Craig did offer to take a picture of it for me, but I'm stubborn and wanted to take all pictures myself. Ah, love and team work and my inherent stubbornness.


Julia is normally so detailed, but this time she steered me wrong. What exactly do you consider small pieces of butter lady? These are things I need to know. Also, telling me I need to mix it until it looks like coarse corn meal doesn't help me, I don't really know what that is.


I added gouda from Culinarium this time. Specifically "Thunder Oak Red & Black Pepper Gouda" from Thunder Bay. I have a lot of cheese right now and I didn't want this to go to waste buried in the fridge.

While googling about gouda scones, I realized we had a bunch of apples that I could use. But according to the interwebs I needed about 4 hours to dry them out, which I did not have. I did however remember that I had these from an old Culinarium package:



Of course I remembered this after I had made the dough so chopping it up and adding it in seemed like a bad idea. No problem, I thought I'll just stick on on each of the scones:



Speaking of bad ideas:



S'okay though, they were salvagable. Though Craig did try eating one of the dried apples to see if they tasted as bad as they looked. Yes, yes they did. So off they came.



And I made a few giant triangle scones as well. Which feel more breakfast-sized to me.


By which I mean I'll eat just one of those instead of three of the little ones. Did I mention that these are awesome and when they're baking it makes everything smell like butter? Mmmmm, delicious butter. Other than adding the gouda, I followed this recipe as written. My only issue is they taste really lemony. But I like lemons, so I think I'll eat the whole pan.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm.... you have inspired me to make scones! (I totally pronounce scone rhyming with stone.) I'm glad you wore the apron! I'm tickled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing so hard. You are the funniest! I never would have thought of adding a savory cheese to scones, but if you and Tina love, I am going to have to give it a go. This baking adventure is really the most fun.

    ReplyDelete